26 November 2010

Day Twenty Six

Now is 10:45pm and I got home about half an hour ago.  Work finished at 6pm for me, but then went to meet workmate Bryan to chat about his forthcoming ADI check test. We met at 6:30pm for dinner at Morrisons and it kicked off from there.  We discussed what he was gonna do and how he was gonna prepare for it then we went out for a drive to the site where he would carry out his check test on the day.  At the start he was quite nervous, as I was back in July this year, but at the end of the night he said he felt much more confident with it and thanked me for my help.  I told him I didn't do anything, however, I totally understand how he feels cos I went through the same thing back in July and he was there to help me too, being my guinea pig as I tried out techniques for the parallel park manoeuvre.  So tonight has been quite beneficial for the two of us cos whilst talking to another instructor we get to bounce ideas off each other.  We learn new things as well as ask questions that only another person in the same trade will understand.  Haha!  I look forward to meeting up with Duncan and Ann who are also fellow instructor friends, both preparing for their check tests in December and January respectively.  Out of the lot of us, I find I have the best 'advantage' if you can call it that.  And that is I have God in my life.  I have the peace of God in my heart each day, knowing that He is watching out for me, keeping me safe, keeping me and my pupils from harm.  I gave thanks at EM last week because it was my first year anniversary working as a driving instructor and I thank God for His protection throughout.  A few weeks ago, a driving instructor was knocked down whilst crossing Anniesland Road in the west end of Glasgow.  This 47 year old man was a fellow AA comrade.  Though I haven't met him before, it is sad to hear this news. (News story can be read here)  It reminded me that life is short and we have no time to waste.  We really should appreciate and treasure each moment we have.  I wouldn't say we should party and go wild everyday, or 'live life to the max' or 'live like its the end of the world' which is the sort of attitude people seem to have these days.  But if you count your blessings that God has given you, you will find peace and contentment and there should be less 'need' to chase after the things of the world.

Happiness

Talking about contentment: yesterday on the radio I heard a programme discussing the Conservative Party's plans to measure the UK's happiness level as well as GDP.  They feel the need to find out how the nation is feeling is as important as finding out the economic growth of the country.  The radio show invited a guest Ruth Dugdall a writer and probation office who helps people feel positive about themselves.  They invited listeners to call in and answer four questions to help Ruth gauge how happy they were out of a score of ten.  So here are four questions asked:

1) How loved do you feel?

2) If you could change your life in one way, what would it be?

3) When you wake up in the morning, what is your first thought?

4) If all material things were removed from you, what would you left with?

These four questions were thought-provoking and I tried to answer them when listening whilst having lunch.  Here's my response to them... Don't laugh now, they are from my heart.

1) How loved do you feel?
Quite loved, honestly.  I have a very loving family, my mum and sister are very dear to me and I know for a fact they would do anything for me.  We care for each other very deeply and hold each other together.  We hardly ever argue and there is a lot of love and grace within our family.  I feel loved by my friends too.  I know there are people who appreciate me and are willing to be there for me in times of trouble as well.  Mostly these are friends from church whom I am grateful to God for, without whom I may have not have so many friends.  Ultimately, God's love plays a big part of my life.  Gives me the sense of security and inner peace inside each day.

2) If you could change your life in one way, what would it be?
I would change the way I handle relationships.  I admit I have made many stupid crazy mistakes because I jumped into relationships too easily, and hurt people.  Although I talk about a sense of security from God, I often feel that which is unseen is not enough and I seek a more security in 'physical form', that I need a person in my life in order to make me feel safe, secure etc.  However, I know ultimately this security should be from God, all from God and I have chosen to walk that path now.  To go back on the path with God and walk His way to await the right one from Him.  My mind may sometimes wonder, 'What if God doesn't have anyone for me?  Or wants me to be single??'  Then I remind myself of the verse in Jeremiah 29:11.

So one thing I'd change in my life would be my love life.

3) When you wake up in the morning, what is your first thought?
This I hadn't really thought of before, however, after reviewing when I get up in the mornings, I think most mornings my first thoughts are: "What muscle groups am I going to work on today?" or "How can I improve myself?" or "How many days have I not been to the gym??".  Not sure what Ruth would make of that if analysing me, haha! but at present health and fitness plays a bit part of my life.  Maybe I am not good at many things, but if building muscles and keeping fit is one thing I'm good at then I will stick with it.  In this unstable world where things can collapse any moment financially or emotionally or whatever, I know keeping myself healthy is something that I can keep for myself and if I work hard I gain hard.  As with all things in life I suppose.  It depends what you invest your time and efforts in.  I know if I work hard on my body I see results.  These are the days to do that, because once I have my own flat and/or my own family then I might never get to time to care about my health again and might turn into a fat blob again!!  Lol!

4) If all material things were removed from you, what would you be left with?
Well, if all material things were removed from me, I would be left with the things that matters to me the most: family, friends, my faith and my fitness!!  (Notice how Facebook is not on my list?  =P)  I know the things I listed money can't buy.  These are the things that matter to me the most and keeps me sane.  I am grateful to God for leading me through the bestest of times as well as the worse of times.  "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" some people say.  Well I personally agree that once someone experiences something good or bad they learn from the experience and it adds another chip into their character model which is developing every day.  Bad experiences are the once that really chip our model like an ice pick on an ice sculpture.  I know each day God is with me wherever I am, even on they days when I go silent and don't talk to Him much beside giving thanks for my meals.  I know He loves me a lot and always want my attention.  I know I will always have Him in me and with me.  I know I am not to abuse Him as well though... :)

So... to analyse myself I'd give myself a rating of 7/10 for happiness.  I find greatest happiness and contentment with my family and friends and when life gets stressful I get stress-relief through my workouts which I gain from ultimately.  God and fitness are important to my life as well and definitely helps me through my job whenever that gets tough.  Generally I am quite a happy and content person, though sometimes my happiness zaps away when people remind me of my past mistakes etc and that makes me unhappy again.  Part of life I guess.  The past will always come back and bite you in the ass some day.  Lol!!

Try asking yourselves these four questions and see what answers you might have.  You might be surprised!  =)

p.s. it is snowing heavily in Glasgow right now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment