21 March 2012

Spiritual match

Anne Healy (Pastor Healy's wife) was right when she spoke at last Sunday's service.  The sermon theme was on Mother's Day and somehow there was connection to finding love.  She mentioned how important it was to wait for the right person to come along to become your life partner.  She shared about her own story, how before meeting Pastor Healy she was previously engaged but the engagement broke down along with her relationship with her then fiance.  A friend said to her, "I'm very glad this relationship broke down and this ended."  She was very distraught and did not understand why her friend had said this.  Her friend explained that she felt the man was not right for Anne.  Her friend felt that the man was not Anne's "spiritual match".  Those two words struck me on Sunday.  It kind of summoned up my whole life.  It explained why things are the way they are.  It seems I have never found my "spiritual match".  And whilst this revelation dawned on me, it also made me realise that I myself may not have been a good "spiritual match" for anybody either!!

So what does this mean?  How does one 'gauge' this spiritual level?  What do we use to measure or compare?  Being a Christian man seeking a Christian woman as a life partner, I should be able to provide spiritual support for my partner.  But what "spiritual level" should she be?  Should I be seeking a life partner with "spiritual level" equal to or less than myself?  Or how would things work if the woman has a spiritual level "higher" than myself?  Would I still be able to lead spiritually?  Does it work the same way as for example: income or education?  Will discrepancies in spiritual levels cause conflict or awkwardness as it may for the two examples?  Hmm...

Do any single guys reading this, ever think about this matter?  You might want a life partner and hope to find her soon.  But have you thought whether you can provide for her spiritually as well as physically and emotionally etc?  I do not feel I am spiritual enough to be honest.  Nor do I feel I am rich or intelligent.  What does that mean...?

No comments:

Post a Comment