31 December 2011

Christmas 2011: New Year's Eve (Hogmanay)


My last dinner of the year :)  This time next year Cat will be celebrating New Year's in Singapore and it'll come to her before the UK.  This evening mum cooked scallops with spring onions, salmon with spring onions, boiled corn-fed free range chicken, vegetable stir fry and some leftover turkey.  It was nice.  Later on after I washed the dishes we had panettone cake.  It was nice, a wee treat before the New Year kicks in.

Right now "Still Game" is on BBC One.  I've seen this episode before ("Hootenanny") as I own the complete boxset.  There are still good laughs in it.  Haha!  It's gonna be a quiet New Year for 2011.  Cat is away out to friend's place for the countdown.  It will be nice for her especially since she'll be in Singapore next year.  Yup I've mentioned that already.  Lol!  Things will certainly be different when she's away.  I think I will miss Cat a lot once she's away.  It hasn't hit me yet but when I left my mind free to imagine scenarios without Cat and it'll be quite sad.  For example, once she's gone she won't be buying mum clothes.  I won't be very good at that.  She can't be mum's fashion advisor.  I definitely can't step in for her.  She won't be buying lots of bargains from the supermarkets and go grocery shopping with mum on Fridays.  I don't like shopping very much but will have to make changes.  Cat bakes a lot, so we won't have much home baking to eat.  I'll have one less person to talk to about the gym and fitness stuff, one less person to exercise with me at home.  One less person to share laughs and personal jokes with.  Even thinking about it now is quite sad... I think I'll stop here.

There are great stuff to look forward to in 2012 of course.  It will NOT be the end of the world, however, as some people have tried to predict.  I mean, even the infamous "prophetic predictions" of rapture and Judgement Day for 21 October 2011 by Harold Camping did not come true.  I pity the people who really believed him and who may have done what some people typical would do when they know life would end: quite their jobs, spend all their money, live life to the max etc and expect life to end, but then to realise they are still here on Earth after the predicted time, and then have to pick up the pieces.  It is quite sad.  I choose not to believe these things, or such things like "Forward this email to five friends and you will get good luck/ your wish will come true.  Fail to do this and you will die/ someone you know will die in the next few hours".  It is all a lot of gumph.  Nobody has to power to end life through an email nor to predict the end of the world.  Only God knows the return of the Lord Jesus and will decide when the world will end. 

As it says in the Bible: "Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night" - 1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 

I have nothing fear and know that as long as I live each day according to His will, as much as possible, I will not fear the return of the Lord and will hope to hear the words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Living a God-pleasing life consistently will be impossible, this I know for sure.  But I hope in the coming year that I will be more mindful of the Lord in all I say and all I do.  Do my best not to grieve the Holy Spirit within.  One of my spiritual goals for the New Year will be to keep up my devotional time with the Lord.  It will mean early morning wake ups as I prefer to read the Lord's Word first thing in the morning before my mind is crowded with different stuff distracting me.  Last night I was on the Youversion website.  They provide FREE Bible apps for iPhone and Android etc.  I have my free app for my Android already and will need it again once I get my new phone.  There are reading plans on the Youversion site, like 'Read the Bible in One Year', 'Read the Bible in 90 Days' etc.  There are a few other plans to follow too.  I think reading the whole Bible in One Year will definitely be a big big goal for me and I'd like to achieve this one day.  However, it seems the website had reading plans but no commentary materials/ study notes.  Which means I might be reading the five chapters a day and there is no guarantee I will understand what I'm reading and might just read to fill my daily quota.  What I'd really like for this coming year is to really understand the Bible, the different books, the authors, the timeline of the books and to understand what is written in it's context, not just to know certain verses and use them occasionally.  After being a Christian since 1994, I still feel my Bible knowledge is still not strong enough.  I do not think I know enough to use the Word of the Lord for

"teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness..." - 2 Timothy 3:16

So in yesterday's blog post I commented how I am not satisfied with my physique and noticed certain areas that need improving/ strengthening: traps, abs and calves.  Well regarding my spiritual health I want to strengthen my knowledge of the Bible and develop a deeper understanding of the Living Word.  I will aim to renew my mind with the Bible everyday.  Spiritual food from God - it can only be good for me and those around me =)

As I end here, I want to wish every one of my readers a very nice new year in 2012.  No matter if you are a believer in God or our Lord Jesus or not, I wish the Lord's blessing upon you and all that you do.  For those who have yet to personally know the Lord like I and many others in the world have, I hope in the next 365 days you will have a personal encounter with God.  I hope when the moment comes that you will let God into your heart and into your life.  You will not regret it.  For everyone else who is a fellow believer in the Lord, let us continue walking in the light of the Lord.  Let us continue to love and support each other as brothers and sisters in Christ.  Wherever you are in the world, we are one big family!  =D

No comments:

Post a Comment