26 June 2012

The summer of love


I will be attending FOUR weddings this summer.  Well, ok, not all are weddings, but wedding celebrations for sure!!  Last night was Lloyd and Miriam's wedding thanksgiving dinner.  Most of the folk from Cantonese congregation and some of English congregation were invited.  Mainly folk who knows the Lee family well and have seen Lloyd grow up.  I remember Lloyd was a year older than me and although were were in the same Bible class I always looked up to him.  He was intelligent, fit, played football, rugby with his school and could play the piano and guitar.  His younger brother, Wayne, also followed his great example.  Lloyd left Glasgow after high school to study in Manchester and since then I only saw him at special occasions like Christmas / New Year / Easter time when he came up to Glasgow to visit his family and the church.  Last week he got married to Miriam whom he met whilst down in Manchester.  He was engaged for sixteen months.  It was very nice to hear Lloyd share how he organised a treasure hunt to lure Miriam into a park to propose to her.  Such a nice story and indeed a story they will live to tell their children and grandchildren.

It was nice celebrating together with them and with over one hundred people in the Pollokshaws Burgh Hall.  There was a great atmosphere of celebration, happiness and joy.  Through the event many aunties came up to me to compliment me on how handsome I am.  Many mentioned that it was soon Cat's wedding coming up (middle of July!) and then followed it with asking when it was my turn.  Some asked if I had a girlfriend and didn't seem to believe when I told them or my mum told them I was still single.  Mum even asked them back, "Do you know of any Christian girls to recommend?"  Haha!!  Ah well, if only eh.  These occasions are very special and very joyful, for the majority.  However, we should probably be mindful of those who are not yet attached and who may be sad / worried / confused about it all.  If any of you are on this boat, take heart, stand up proud, don't waver, but stand strong and continue ploughing on.  If you feel you are lacking in any areas, learn to look for ways to improve yourself.  Sometimes, "being yourself" is not enough.  Always look to improve yourself and better yourself.  Not only will you do yourself good, but you will also benefit your future partner, whomever they may be.  For now, I thank the aunties for their compliments and I thank God for any compliments given to me.  And of course, thank my parents for their good genes ;)

So why is this the summer of love?  Well, there will be so many wedding celebrations to attend:

1) Lloyd and Miriam's wedding thanksgiving
2) Teng Cheng and Sin Hung wedding - 1st July
3) Ian and Leanne's wedding - 7th July
4) Cat and Nick's wedding - 16th July
5) Cat and Nick's Singapore banquet - 4th August

Wow!!  Will be suited and booted (and kilted!) so many times in the space of a month!  Haha!! Lights... camera... action!!

Lesson of the Day: Look out for the lonely hearts at weddings

No comments:

Post a Comment